Seasons. Time to stay and time to move forward. Time to find courage to cross over into new territories, assignments, callings.
Which is the step that scares you the most? Do you feel anxious, overwhelmed and fearful to make this one step of obedience to God’s calling? Is the mountain in front of you too big? Is the river too deep? Take heart and be encouraged because God commands us to be strong and courageous. And since he commands this, we can be certain that he has provided everything we need to be brave. We can be encouraged knowing God believes in and cheers us up.
Remember to pin me for later!
Courage to cross over into the new
In the first chapters of the Book of Joshua God prepares and encourages Joshua and the Israelites for the crossing over the Jordan river so he can establish them in their promised land. It is a season of transition, of expanding, of plunging into a new territory. It is simply a season of change and unknown. And even if we know change is good for us, we fear change; we fear losing the comfort of the familiar.
As the best knower of human hearts and motivations, God is aware of that reluctance and of our need for encouragement. That’s why God invites us to step in, to move on, to cross over. He wants to establish what he has given us, and he wants to enlarge our territory, expand our boundaries and reach. God’s commandment is to be brave, strong, courageous, determined and confident. We can be all this because he is with us. This is everything we need, our constant source of power, comfort, love, and life.
„Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)We can be brave, strong, courageous, determined and confident because God is with us making a way. #courage #confidence #trustGod #BibleTeaching #bgbg2 Click To Tweet
Two promises and reasons to move forward
In the first chapter of Joshua, we come across two awesome promises and reasons to follow God and move on in the direction he is leading us.
This is the first promise: “I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses.” (Joshua 1:3) God assures us of success and victory when we take steps of faith into the places, he is showing us. We just need to move on, and to place our foot in this area. We need to push through the fear and go on this trip, open this company, take this job, start this ministry, take this course, call this person, make that appointment, confront that fear.
And as if this is not enough, God says too, “No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life.“ (Joshua 1:5) God assures us that in Christ he has equipped us and empowered us for victory. No enemy we can encounter in our lives is a match for God. Teamed up with God we can overcome everything.Teamed up with God we can overcome everything. #victory #encouragement #BibleStudy #bgbg2 Click To Tweet
5 Steps to cross over into the new
- The first step is to consecrate ourselves. This means to prepare our hearts in willingness and devotion, and renewed trust. (Joshua 3:5)
- The second step is to follow God’s precise timing and leading. (Joshua 3:3, 6)
- The third step is just to get moving and do it! We are to go and stand in and set our foot in (the river). (Joshua 3: 7, 13, 15)
- The next step is to stand firm in our faith and keep following the Lord of all Earth who is going before us and making a way in the unknown land that scares us. He is opening for us a dry and safe path to cross over to our promised land.
- The last step is to be patient because crossing over is a process and it needs time. (Joshua 3:17)
Two keys to success
Additionally, God’s Word gives us two operating principles and keys to a lifestyle of progress, growth, and success.
- The first key is the key of obedience. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:7)
- The second key is the key of the constant renewal of our minds with the truths in God’s Word. “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.“ (Joshua 1:8)
More encouragement from the Word of God
“Be strong and courageous and do the work.” (1 Chronicles 28:20)
“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you.” (Deuteronomy 31:68)
“Stand firm. Let nothing move you.” (1 Corinthians 15:58)
Let’s find the courage and respond as the Israelites did: “Whatever you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go.” (Joshua 1:16)
Don’t forget to download a printable of these Bible verses!
For more Bible verses in different translations and languages, you can visit BibleGateway.com. It is a great place to read and study the Bible!
Remember to pin me for later!
Can you take God by his word? Do you believe that he is with you, opening a way for you to be everything he has called you to be?God assures us of success and victory when we take steps of faith into the places, he is showing us. #victory #faith #encouragement #GodsWord #bgbg2 Click To Tweet